Milanese leg harness Avant, about 1440
- It is made from 1,6mm carbon steel (gauge 16), the actual gauge of plate may vary due to the handcrafted way of production.
- Made by Marshal Historical
Avant is one of the oldest near-complete armours in the world, dating from about 1440. It is in remarkably good condition remaining in the castle armoury of a noble family in the Alps until being bought by an American media tycoon in the early 20th century. It is often referred to as the Avant armour as this word – meaning ‘Forward!’ – is inscribed on the edges of the breastplate. The armour was made in the renowned armour-making city of Milan. Armours made by its craftsmen were greatly sought after by wealthy warriors all across Europe.
- Length of the thigh plate approx. 43 cm
- Length of the lower knee plate approx. 11 cm
- Overall length approx. 54 cm
Straps in back part
1 – strap under knee – circumference from 40 to 50 cm
2 – strap over knee – circumference from 40 to 50 cm
3 – strap under knee – circumference from 46 to 60 cm
Included in these categories: Leg Armour