The legal warranty of 2 years refers to all manufacturers’ defects of workmanship and / or materials used. This warranty applies only when the product is used under normal conditions for which the sword is designed, and does not apply to damage related to accident, misuse, improper care, negligence, and normal and/or excessive wear and tear.
Some examples of misuse or improper care of samurai swords can be found below. Generally these are all activities except the traditional cutting techniques into special Tameshigiri Mattes. In such cases the warranty is void.
Examples of what we understand under misuse or improper care:
- Hewing branches from the tree. People invented special tools for this kind of activities, we call them axes or machetes.
- Replicate a destructive test videos on YouTube showing extreme situation or misuse (blade edge cutting into other steel edge).
- Never take your sharp samurai sword into the public with a bare blade. Wear it always in the Saya (scabbard) and if possible also in a special, lockable carrying bag for swords. This is even an obligation prescribed by the law in Germany.
- Never insert an uncleaned blade into the Saya. If you are doing cutting tests on fruits, clean the blade immediately thereafter, otherwise the blade will get rusty.
- Never leave your sword on the veranda/porch or on the ground in your garden after use. Make it clean, preserve with an oil and store dry. Keep your sword clean and oiled. Store it in a dry place.
- Do not try to juggle with your Samurai Sword or to throw with it or otherwise handle it recklessly.